Doing business the Nillumbik Shire
No matter whether you are just starting your business or have been in business for years, there is help and support available.
Professional development and support
Small business mentoring
Via the Nillumbik Council, FREE business mentoring sessions for Nillumbik businesses.
Advanced Small Business Clinics
Clinics designed for an intensive planning and strategy output are also available. Packages of four sessions are available at subsidised rate of $200.
These sessions are available by prior appointment only. Please email your request to email@example.com
Education at the Living and learning centre
The Nillumbik Living & Learning Centres offer a wide range of adult learning opportunities including accredited training. Small Business Victoria offer a range of courses via Living & Learning Nillumbik, including:
- Grow Your Business, Green Your Business
- Starting Your Business Workshop
- Marketing Basics Seminar
Contact Living & Learning Nillumbik for further information:
Phone: 03 9433 3744
PERMITS AND REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS
Information about which regulations apply to your business type can be found at the Victorian government's Business Licence Information Service (BLIS).
Factors that the Nillumbik Shire Council will consider before granting a permit:
- whether there is a need for additional parking or loading facilities
- the effect of any vehicle parking, storage or washing facilities on the amenity and character of the street
- whether the site is suitable for the particular home occupation and is compatible with the surrounding use and development
- whether there is a need for landscaping to screen any outbuildings or car parking or loading areas or any other area relating to the home occupation.
Further information on Shire requirements are available here.
What kind of advertising signage can I have?
In residential zones, home-based businesses are permitted to have signage which displays business identification information. A total of 0.2 square metres of advertising is permitted without a planning permit.
The information which is acceptable on the sign is:
- business name
- short service description
- contact number/website
Other requirements please visit the Nillumbik Shire Council's website.
The following are links to non-commercial, government organisations that offer help freely to you.